December 6, 2008

All I Want for Christmas....

Lately there's been a small nagging desire in the back of my mind. Every few days it hits full force and makes me want to go do something drastic. Today was one of those days. I came home from a day of Baby-showering and my husband was perusing the Doggie Rescue sites again. I found the perfect min pin./beagle cross. A few weeks ago I found the perfect basset hound/beagle mix.

I want a dog!!!!! I don't know why! It makes no sense - I have plenty of little beings to care for already. I don't need another responsibility, another nose in my face. But the desire will not go away. Up until college I always had a least one pet (usually quite a few more)but, for awhile, with the insaneness of twin little ones, I didn't miss it. I was happy to have no pet shed to vacuum and enjoyed being able to leave food out on the counter or table without worrying that someone would jump up and eat it. But it's been over two years since we've had a furry pet, and I'm really starting to miss having a furry friend or two around.

We've decided (I think) to wait to get a pet until we buy a house (hopefully after Christmas sometime), but the desire keeps growing. And we've recently realized that my children need to have a pet. The big girls are terrified of dogs - and I'm really not cool with that. I want my kids to love animals, and it makes me very sad that they can't enjoy them. They didn't use to have that fear - they used to LOVE all animals and only wanted to read books or watch movies that had animals in them. So, again I have guilt about moving them to the city.

Well I was hoping that writing about pets would make me realize that I really don't need one right now...and maybe it worked a bit....for a day or two. But Pixie the Min. Pin/beagle cross was so cute...and close by....


****Baby J. stood without support for a few seconds!!! Daddy is taking her walking every day to help her get the idea :) The girls have sounded out 3 words and we're only on lesson 12 of 100!! We're working on getting a better routine for lessons.

2 comments:

Tina said...

OK so here is my two cents.......GET A DOG! Now I probably don't have the best "pet judgement" seeing as I am the BIGGEST dog lover on the planet and I got a 2nd puppy when my triplets were 7 months old.

I think the extra work is totally worth it.

Mamma said...

The animal thing is in your blood. You're going to cave some time or another... bound to happen. YOU ARE YOUR MOTHER'S DAUGHTER - like it or not... Get a dog. Just make it big enough that it won't break when attempts to pick it up by the leg or tail are made... oh and, perhaps you should go for an already housebroke variety ! Look up research on kids raised with animals vs kids not raised with animals. And, never forget... God made the animals and then us, and the first thing He told us was to name them and take care of them... it's part of His plan. Just might stop at one or two... maybe mamma has touched the rediculous ??? oh well... pappa and i give new meaning to
"will work for food" (feed bill is higher than the mortgage !) lllove you ! mamma