February 13, 2009

Twins







I try very hard not to refer to my twins as 'the twins'...I'm not really sure why, but I always feel a bit uncomfortable calling them that. This does present a problem of reference though - because there isn't really any other way to exclude Baby J. when I need to refer to just the 'big girls.'

Lately A. has started referring to herself in third person. She says, 'Mama, A. wants ___,' or 'Mama, here is A.', or 'A. is sitting behind you' etc. I really don't know what started it. I rarely mix the girls up - occasionally Jer does, but I wouldn't think it would be often enough to cause trauma. We mix up their names about as often as parents of siblings that aren't twins. Of course, I don't know what's going on in their Sunday school or MOPs classes....

The times I do mix the girls up because they look similar are those times that I make an assumption based on previous behavior - like this morning one of the girls (twins) came and crawled in bed with me. I assumed it was A. because she almost always comes in first. At one point I said something to her and go the response, 'But Mama, A.'s not in here'....oh. I hadn't really opened my eyes to see and talking while Baby J. is still snoozing is a strict no-no - so really without seeing her or hearing her voice...how would I know who was there?? Or when we are in the store and they are facing away from me - I notice, out of the corner of my eye, that one of them is getting too far away or trying to touch something so call to her...I often get quite frustrated that the culprit is not listening before I realize that the owner of the name I'm calling out is looking up expectantly at me while the culprit continues on with her misbehavior...*sigh*

Lately, the girls (twins) have been pretending to be dogs. For some reason they are adamant that only one of them can be a dog while the other is the 'people'...so this morning when I tried to feed them their cheerios on the floor (I remember my mom humoring me with cheerio 'dog food' so I decided to be a 'cool' mom like that...) only B. took me up on it. She also renamed herself 'Sparkles'....a very appropriately girly dog name. So, Sparkles ate her cheerios with her mouth while her 'People' A. sat and ate her cheerios the normal way with a spoon and milk. I'm sure Baby J. thinks they are both crazy :)

It strikes me that all the good blogs I read usually include pictures with their posts. I would love to have a picture to post of Sparkles and her people...but unfortunately, I have two hand-me-down digital cameras that were not passed on with the charger cord. So, all my batteries are dead. Someday I'll figure out how to order new ones online...but until then...we're left with boring blog. (I think perhaps I have said all this in a previous blog - but I can't remember which things I actually type and which I just think about posting)
OH! I'll post some pics from someone else's camera! Pics above are from our latest trip to the zoo :)

4 comments:

Supermomie said...

My girls do the dog/people thing, too! Usually one of them gets a string of some sort and puts it in the mouth of the dog, while the "people" takes the end of the leash and leads her around and tells her to sit and stuff. I didn't think about the cheerios thing. I'll have to try that sometime.

BTW, I find cords and batteries and stuff for my cameras at AccStation.com They are cheap and quick shipping.

Tina said...

I think all kids go throughthe dog thing. I would LOOOOOOOOVE some pics. PLEASE!

andryadawn said...

I LOVE the sparkles story!!! Cheerios from the floor... how fun!! You are such a good mommy!!
Do NOT buy a camera or battery or charger...just check your mailbox in a week or so.
Missing you like crazy!!

Heather said...

You are a cool mom! I love the cheerios in the "dog bowl" story! Charlotte likes to pretend she is a cat.