July 14, 2010

A Tradition of Torture.

The girls are finally old enough for me to 'play' with their hair. I also have the excuse of needing to keep it tied back for swimming. My husband is shocked by the screams of pain that come from the living room as I plait and/or ponytail three little heads of hair. In my defense, I do try to be gentle, but part of having long hair is having a tough head, right? And they do get the option of having short or long hair. They've been told, though, that if they have long hair they have to let mom 'do' it so it doesn't get all nasty.

A. is getting better about tolerating it - she gets angry at the pain while B. just sobs because she's so mistreated.

Regular french braids on A.


The entire process is very reminiscent of the hairdo torment I received from my mother. The french braid that went around my head like a crown (SO. MUCH. PAIN.)...and the public (equally painful) demonstrations that happened whenever random strangers asked her 'how'd you DO that??' Sometimes I can calm the girls as I pull with these stories of my own experiences with mother-inflicted pain :)
This experiment turned out a bit goofy. (Can you tell she's been crying??)

Back view of 'goofy-do'. Later on the back fell out so I turned the side braid into a bun - super- silly :)



I'm just now starting inverted french braids (my mom called them 'fishtails'). I am really enjoying having so much hair to practice with!!









2 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Very cute! I need to try this with my daughter.

Muthering Heights said...

It looks so pretty!

Just think...down the road, they'll be begging you to braid their hair! :)