December 10, 2008

Texas Snow and Santa

Today we had little bit of rare southern Texas snow!!! But, unfortunately, it wasn't coming down hard enough for the girls to be able to see it. I called their Daddy to tell him I could see the snow bouncing (ok, it may have been tiny ice pellets, but snow is more exciting) off the neighbor's roof. When the girls heard me say snow, they went running to look out the windows - then decided Mama was crazy and went back to playing.
On Monday night I was doing the dishes and heard little bits of sirens. Last year around this time I heard what sounded like a full fleet of emergency vehicles heading for our neighborhood and thought that the end of the world had officially started (I had recently seen 'I AM LEGEND' and was totally paranoid). Needless to say, I was a bit surprised, last year, when Santa rode by on top of a fire engine surrounded by a few cop cars and ambulances - all sirening in full volume. I must not have been the only one freaking out because this year the whole affair was much quieter - they periodically 'booped' the sirens and that was it. Since they took a different route around the neighborhood the girls had lots of time to stand outside and shiver waiting for Santa. They were very excited when he finally came by - and even more excited when the vehicle behind him pelted us with candy. My husband thinks this is a cool way for the Emergency Service folks to make their presence felt while spreading holiday cheer. I think this ranks pretty high on my list of strange Texas traditions. *Baby J did not enjoy Santa's loud, bright, flashing ride.
And, yet again, the girls have sensed my weakness. I just looked around and noticed that Baby J. is in her play pen. I did not put her in her playpen and, while she is pretty good at getting around, I know she did not climb in. B. informed me that she put her sister in there because B. didn't want sister to 'bother us.' I have no idea how the girls got J. in there without making any noise! They must have been pretty smooth about it or J. would have been screaming.



Here's a pic of Baby J. with Santa:
The girls opted out when given the chance to sit on his lap. A. said she just wanted to watch. B. said she'd do it another day.
(It's black and white because Bass Pro wants me to by more copies of it from them)

3 comments:

Tina said...

Ha HA those sneaky little girls. My boys do that all the time to the triplets and the babies LOVE it!

there were many times I found my middle son with two babies on his lap, and this was when the trio were little. I always wondered how he got them there all by himself.

Great pic with Sanata.

andryadawn said...

SNOW does not bounce. And you told me it was SNOWING, but if the girls cant see it, it doesnt count. Grrr, and here I thought maybe you were getting a taste of my misery.. lol!
Thats awesome that your girls managed to get J in there... hahahahaaaaa!!
And the santa picture is fantastic, however, if you came up here, you could have a santa picture with REAL snow, and REAL reindeer....

Skubaliscious said...

Um, that IS a real reindeer - a real, dead, stuffed reindeer...it is Bass Pro, ya know?? :)