June 10, 2009

Fail!


Well we got a puppy. I started having second thoughts before we even brought him home. But I always have second thoughts, so I have trouble distinguishing the correct from incorrect.

Anyway, my girls are not ready for a puppy. A. has not come off of the couches/lawn chairs since he's been here. Even when he's sleeping she keeps at least 5 or more feet between herself and the dog. He really is a good little puppy as puppies go. I think he'd be easy to train and he's got a nice little nature.
But, he is also ALL teeth. You can not pet him without a bite. I know all puppies bite and chew - but this one is definitely on the extreme biter/chewer end of the spectrum. And the whole "give them something they are allowed to chew on, so they won't chew on things they are not supposed to chew on" philosophy has not been working out for us. 'Jaws' prefers human flesh when he gnaws. I don't think we'd make it through 2 and a half more months of teething.
I told the girls this morning that we had decided to take the dog back. B. cried a little, but after I explained that the dog would not quit biting for quite a while and that he was not going to stay little, she seemed ok with the decision. I asked A. how she felt about it and she said she wants to get a different dog. We'll see.

Baby Jo loves doggie when he's nice and cries when he bites - but she feels the same way about her sisters, so I think she'll be ok.


Here's hoping doggie gets a better, more tolerant home!

1 comment:

Muthering Heights said...

Oh no! Well, maybe a different type of dog would work out a little better...