June 6, 2009

Perplexities of Four-year old interaction

This morning I gave A. the coveted Ariel spoon. She had been having a bit of a rough morning, and I had just stopped her attempt at annoying her sister by stealing her sister's seat at the table. When she received the spoon, she celebrated, and B, who generally rejoices with others, celebrated along with her. Then, A. told us (in her best taunting voice) that she had the Ariel fork last night and now she had the Ariel spoon too. B, as expected, launched into a full cry at the unfairness of Mom and life in general. I expected the situation to escalate with A. continuing her taunting and B. continuing her shrieking.
However, A., very surprisingly, said she had the Ariel fork last night so it was B's turn for the spoon and requested that I switch the utensils. Shocking coming from the Queen of Inciting-lots-of-Negative-Reactions-on-Purpose.
Every time I start thinking I can predict their behavior, they change it up on me.

Baby Jo just go in trouble, again, for pulling the chair out and climbing onto the dining room table. This time she was sprinkling the table with the contents of one of her sister's cups. She's becoming quite adept at moving the chairs around the kitchen.

And, keeping with the theme of parents that can only talk about the sleeping and pooping habits of their children:
Baby Jo continues to wake up too early for me, but she seems to be settling on around 8:00 am. She slept in until 8:30 this morning. Sad that I felt like it was so late in the morning.....ALL of the rest of the family wish that she would sleep just a bit later.
On poo - several times in the past Baby Jo has had a bit of diaper rash because she had a poopy diaper that we couldn't smell. Sort of a good/bad thing. But the last 2 days - WHEW it has been instantly obvious that she has a full load. Blech! Daddy has not encountered one of these diapers - I think if he does he will flat out refuse to change them for fear of gagging :)

We are still having trouble finding just the right doggie. Most of the ones available for adoption are too big or pit bulls. I took a 'which breed is right for you' quiz on Iams.com. It's nice because they give you a huge list of possible breeds and the percentage match for each. After looking at the list I started looking into Spaniels - they seem to be easy to train and are good with children. They are also seemingly hard to find around here. The spaniel rescue will not let families with children under 7 adopt puppies!?!?! Geez. I feel like calling them and arguing with them...but I won't. I found a Cocker Spaniel/Corgie mix puppy on craigslist. Very cute - seems like the perfect mix for us - they want 225 dollars for her. Shocking. So, the search continues. We have a few rescue groups we visit every Saturday. One of them had the perfect dog, in my opinion, but they had it before we had finalized on our house. I feel like I am definitely making mountains out of mole-hills with this dog thing. But I like to be prepared, and a dog will be a big adjustment for all of us, so I want to make sure it's one that we will all be ok with in the long run.

Well, I suppose I should go join the girls in watching 'The Penguins of Madagascar'...or I could fold some more laundry....or both!

No comments: