February 25, 2010

Butterflies

Disclaimer: This may not be interesting to anyone else but me.

Yesterday the girls were given the task of making b-day cards. A. decided to draw a butterfly (so B, of course, followed suit). As she finished drawing the outline, I noticed that she had not really put a space for the body and was curious to see how she'd proceed (we rarely draw so I'm always interested to see how their skills have progressed). It was only when she started drawing what I thought was a second butterfly that I realized that she had actually been drawing each individual wing. Then after the wings were completed she added the body in the space between. Now, as a very poor artist who never aspires beyond basic doodles, I was very impressed by the detail in her butterfly. The body actually looked a bit like the worms/caterpillars from 'Herbie and Friends'. It was such a cute little butterfly with personality and detail so beyond what I have EVER come up with on my butterflies! I do enjoy doodling butterflies so I have attempted quite a few - but mine never have more than a playdough snake like body with antennae and maybe a smiley face if I'm feeling creative.

B started her butterfly a bit later (I was distracted from helping her write the b-day message by an annoying phone call from the insurance adjuster). Again I was perplexed by her picture. She only drew one butterfly wing and a body. I was thinking that surely she, at five, wouldn't think to draw a side view of the butterfly. But, turns out that's exactly what she was doing. The creativity in my five-years olds amazes me! I understand that they are probably totally normal in this area...but I have always been very unimaginative in my art -so seeing them draw from different angles etc just delights me :) I love watching their minds working.
Later, when I was describing to my husband how the girls had both created such different butterflies, B even informed me that she could have made another line on top of the wing so you could see the other wing behind it!! (She was also quite upset that she had forgotten to give her butterfly eyes) I do find it interesting, as well, that while they had butterflies from different angles and with different colors, they both put one spot on the top half and one on the bottom half of each wing. Is that the accepted butterfly wing design for most kids??

I'll close with some pictures from the last few weeks - most of them are from the indoor activities we've been forced to - because even here in the south, it's been cold and icky out. Then there are a few from our new church building (yay!). Our grand opening was two weeks ago and it has been great!
This is our front entryway:

Luckily she didn't try to stand up:

There is actually order to this chaos:

Part of Church Children's Hallway:
My husband built the stage and the puppet theatre:

Mama loves it when they get along:):

4 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Their butterflies sound adorable! :)

Heather said...

ha ha! I love the first picture of the entryway.

Ice Cream said...

My son is like that with the comic books he draws. I always end uo thinking, "What ever made him think to draw it just like that?"

And you have a seriously talented husband. That puppet theater is AWESOME.

Mamma said...

Gramma's love
ALL the details ! Did you take pictures of the butterflies ?