March 10, 2010

'Girls'

*Taking a moment to blog while my hideously bright pink nail polish dries :) *

We have recently confirmed that Lil Jo does, in fact, think her sister A's name is 'Girls'. This may be because both sisters have similar sounding names to her, because I refer to the twins as the 'girls' and she transferred that to just A., or because whenever I holler 'GIRLS' only A. comes running. It may be a combination of all of those. Regardless, she is adamant that A's name is 'Girls' and will not even attempt to pronounce A's real name. Weird, mostly funny, but starting to be a bit frustrating. I guess it's not hurting anything. I had to wonder today how long this idea has been in her brain. I've tested her a lot to see if she can tell the girls apart. She has said 'Girls' to A for quite awhile, but I assumed she was just telling me that A was one of the girls. It never occurred to me that she would get their names confused like this :)

This past weekend I went to our church's women's retreat (great as always :) All the girls went to stay with my dad and step-mom. My husband and I had Saturday and Sunday evening alone to celebrate our anniversary - it was very nice :) But, the girls came home Monday morning and started asking lots of hard questions (I'm not sure if it was out of the blue or if I'm just paying more attention after some of the topics discussed at the retreat). We have discussed: fat vs skinny, why a boy with autism acts differently than other kids, the devil (as they saw him on some friend's animated bible story dvd), what will happen if they can't have a baby, how babies come out of mamas' tummies, why grown-up ladies wear bras, what those diaper things for grown-up ladies in wal-mart are for (Mom, do you peepee in them??) etc, etc. My brain is tired!

One other development that has me really feeling the transformation of my babies into big girls - we have officially graduated from toddler clothing. 5T is just too small. The move across the isle in wal-mart is a sad one (and expensive!).

Well, I think the polish is set- should be able to blind many tonight at small group :)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I wrote this long comment and for some reason it wasn't able to process it or something! So in a nutshell...you make me laugh cause I can hear you tell this all while i read...you are a great mom to those girls and I'm glad I have a friend I can get advice from who will be a pro by the time my girly girl is 5...and it is sad not to have a t next to the size!

Muthering Heights said...

That is SO funny!!!

Tina said...

TOOOO FUNNY!!!! All this GIRL stuff is so foreing to me. It is a sad day when you cross the isle at walmart isn't it :o(. I have the same problem with the Triplets and names. Jenny calls Owen=Owen but she calls Will=Owen aswell. No matter how much I work with her. I have even noticed Owen starting to call Will Owen

What am I going to do?


Anyway Your posts always make me laugh BTW you'll have to post a pic of your FLASHY nails OOOOOLALA :o)

Ice Cream said...

I keep waiting for my girls to ask these questions, but so far nothing. Hmmmm. What am I doing wrong? ;)

Mamma said...

Your blogs make me laugh and cry all in the same moment. Oh had I only had a blog to keep all you and Andrya's details. You will never be sorry you spent this time blogging, because time and new events wisk away so many memories with it. I remember studying your every move and the joy each new act or idea brought... thank you for letting me relive that through my precious grandangels ! I love you ! mamma