November 5, 2008

Sick. Sorta.


It has finally hit. The first round of ickness for the fall. So far, not too bad. It's started slow - B. had a nasty cough just in the mornings. Then I started having 'drippage' in the mornings. Now we all sound raspy and feel run down. There's not much goo (except for Baby J. who has nasal goo as her only symptom).

Since this bug has not manifested itself into something with a concrete name like cold (head, chest or otherwise), or strep throat, etc, I'm resorting to the basic rest and fluids for a cure. Cold medicines are out for kids under 6 so there's not much in the providing relief of symptoms department. I do have some cough medicine for better snoozing at night (I don't know if this is on the banned list but it has dosage for 2 and up and is only half a teaspoon a day - and since the ban on cold medicines is due mainly to fear of overdose outweighing any possible benefit, I think it's ok).

It's been interesting to see how sickness affects the moods of each of my girls. It makes almost all of us more irritable, of course, but Baby J. actually seems to be in a better mood than normal. Perhaps she's enjoying the dripping from her nose?? She has been much more vocal the last two days and has also entertained herself more. B. has her feelings hurt much easier and expects all of us to baby her - including A. A. is probably the least sick of all of us - or at least lets it affect her the least. She seems to be as active and energetic as usual and bounces back and forth between baby-ing B. and tormenting her. I only know she's sick because of the occasional cough and the fact that I can hear her breathing.

Last night my efforts to keep them calm and resting all day were totally nullified by the fact that they had a 15 minute around the living room race which included jumping off the furniture and spinning in circles. They both sounded asthmatic as they ran and then A. was practically in tears about how 'hot' she was. We've been discussing lately how lots of 'wildness' makes for a hot girly.

My plea to the husband for another round of happy hour drinks from Sonic for this afternoon fell on too practical ears....I told him I need to push fluids for all of us and that the girls already had their daily allotment of apple juice (any more and they will have runny poo). I can't get them to drink much water ever. So, I thought pink drinks would help with the fluids intake, but....*sigh* I just got told that we have gross-o flavor Gatorade mix in the truck :(

But! on a positive note - it could be lots worse AND I'm off to go feed my cold (or whatever it is)! Yay for an excuse to put off the diet and exercise!
PS Forgot to mention that the husband, so far, has dodged the sickness bullet and is feeling fine. Woo! Very important to have a healthy bread winner :)

No comments: