The van owner did call me back. She just happened to be the receptionist at the doctor's office we used to go to - the receptionist that sort of annoyed me. I felt very guilty because I expected her to be mean and demand payment...she was sweet, understanding, and honest. She told me I hadn't caused the dent, just the big scratch and not to worry about it. I was very surprised and a bit ashamed. I apologized for hitting her car and admitted to her that I expected an angry rant and was so thankful for her kindness. But, I couldn't apologize for expecting the she, as an individual I was acquainted with, would be mean. God showed me, in a very gentle way, that I still need to work on being less judgemental. I had no real reason for expecting bad behavior from this woman. As a receptionist she actually seems to be very competent and friendly, but something about the way she answered the phone annoyed me, so I expected bad from her?!?
But enough public confessions....
On another note: It's Halloween. My least favorite holiday. I dislike strongly (ok hate) being scared. I also do not enjoy going up to people's front doors for any reason (even if I know them), so going up to doors to beg for candy - not my thing. Some of this might stem from the fact that as a child I never participated in Halloween (I think for religious reasons). But, mostly I think it's the fear and the begging.
Anyway, my husband does enjoy Halloween and wants his children to get to participate. I have no problem going along with this, but I do have a problem with creativity. I just don't have that cranial area that tells me how to make an awesome costume out of things around the house - or even out of things from the craft aisle. So, we waited until last night to finally go buy premade costumes. The Halloween store was EXTREMELY overpriced (in my opinion), so we headed back to Wal-Mart. I figured things would be picked over, but we would be able to find something! What I didn't expect was to find Christmas. Not just moving in, but set up ready to go. No sign of Halloween, fall, Thanksgiving, nothing - all the holiday isles were set for Winter celebrations. There were no costumes - even on sale wracks. Luckily, we found fairy dress-up clothes in the toy aisle that will pass as costumes (and can be reused for their intended purpose). But poor Baby J., there were no costumes for her. They had a few left over Halloween onesies (one said "This is My Costume" the other said "My Mummy Loves Me" - not so good), and even they were on a wrack with the Christmas onesies.
I am a firm believer in keeping all the holidays to their own months - so, to me, this is outrageous!! I know people complain every year about Christmas season starting earlier and earlier - but when will it end?!?! I really don't think Thanksgiving is a holiday to sneeze at - we really need a day of giving thanks - especially right before the insane rush of Christmas.
Ok, I'm done griping!
Not to worry, Baby J. will (probably) not go costume-less because a friend has offered us one from last year. Our 'Great Pumpkin Party' at church sounds like it will be a lot of fun- what's not to like about carnival type games and candy, right? :) And then tomorrow I can start making plans for Thanksgiving ;)
A Different Kind of Love Story….
6 months ago


2 comments:
We don't do Halloween at our house and to tell you the truth the boys don't even care. We opt out mainly for religious reasons but I also think it's crazy to teach your kids over and over not to take candy from strangers then one night a year we tell them to happily beg for and take candy from strangers.
I'm happy things worked out with the uhmmmm fender bender LOL. People sure can surprise you sometimes.
I will let you in on one of my dirty little secrets (whispering I put Christmas up in my house the day after Halloween) LOL. I make sure the curtains are drawn for a couple of weeks so that the neighborhood doesn't see how truly crazy I am LOL.
DH said I have to wait until after the triplets b-day to put up Christmas, so countdown to B-day and a Christmas explosion is 5 days.
I know what you mean about Christmas season starting so early...it's just crazy!
Post a Comment