Today we went to the doctor for the big girls' 4 year check and shots and Baby J.'s 9 month check. All the girls were also slated to get their flu shots - yay!
Now at our last appointment when the doctor told us the girls would need to come in after they turned four, I could have sworn she said they needed to come in for a shot....as in ONE shot each. So I told the girls they were going to be brave today and get 2 shots (one regular, one flu). They were actually quite eager to display their bravery and even reminded the nurse that they needed shots :)
During a discussion on blood and hearts with the nurse, A. informed the nurse that Mama breaks her heart sometimes. *sigh* The nurse chuckled and told me a story of a little boy who came in with chest pains and was all worried that Jesus was broken - since Jesus was in his heart - poor kid!
I decided, again, that there is no torture quite like sitting in a tiny examination room with 3 children and no distractions. They were bored with the fun Spongebob wall border and the dolls they had brought after about 2 minutes. They proceeded to mess with the light, the door, the doctor's spinney, rolly chair, and the baby and her stroller. Fortunately, they were very compliant with the doctor and nurse and A. even started the visit with the doctor by spelling her name. For some reason B. was being very defiant today (usually it's A. who give me trouble in that area), but it's feels mean to threaten to take away privileges from a child that is going to need treats after upcoming shot trauma.
After the consult with the doctor and hearing tests for the big girls, it was shot time. The doctor came in to tell me that our previous, less-than-organized doctor's office had not faxed over any records of a 4 months check for Baby J. So, we don't know what shots she received at that appointment because they didn't tell me at the time either. Hopefully, they do have records from that appointment and just forgot to send them - or else Baby J. will have a series of unidentified shots in her body. I was also a bit cranky when I realized that due to the behindness of the previous doctor, Baby J. only received one out of three of the rotovirus vaccine doses. It's a newer vaccine and prevents against the devastating diarrhea disease (that's my nickname for it). The nurse said the one dose will provide some protection for Baby J., but I'm still grumpy (it's too late to get any more doses).
Oh - and right before shot time the nurse peeks in to see if we should separate the girls while she administers the shots because they are going to get not 2 but 5(!!!) shots. When I told A. she was going to get 5 she lost her courage. She said she'd be brave for one but not 12 (I told her a few - she heard 12). B. volunteered to go first, but A. said she didn't want to leave the room - I think she though if she left she wouldn't get any shots...and she did want to get one shot! So I held B. while the nurse put three shots in one leg and two in the other (it really seems to add insult to injury that they have to pull down their pants to get shots). B. actually giggled a bit after each shot was finished. Her little body tightened up during each prick, but she didn't cry at all!!! Amazing considering we had to have help holding her down for last year's flu shot and then her iron test at the WIC office! After watching B. get her shots A. was firmly convinced that she didn't wan ANY. I had to fight her a bit to get her pants off and then she had to hold her doll and she still screamed for each prick. The whole time she was begging for no more (I always feel sorry for the nurses at this point). What made her even more upset, however, was hearing that Baby J. was getting shots next. She was pleading with the nurse not to hurt J. and then shrieked for each of the two shots that Baby J. received (Baby J. barely whimpered). The nurse felt so bad for A.'s sympathy screams that she had to hug and comfort her when we were all finished. Poor A. was thoroughly traumatized - and this is the girl that just last week thought it was great helping the WIC nurse collect blood out of her finger for her iron test.
To top off our shot adventure - I hit the back end of a random van in the parking lot while backing out. I obviously can not drive my big SUV. I left the van a note with my number on it...and am now very apprehensively awaiting an angry phone call.
But we all survived, Baby J. is taking her afternoon nap while the girls get their daily dose of Sesame Street. B. claims to love shots now. A. never wants a shot again.
Just to recap - at total of 12 shots, two hearing tests, and one van butt bump were administered today :)
***Weird thing of the day...I just got a phone call from an unknown number. I let it go to voicemail (see above about fear of angry van owner) and got a message from a place that said it does Newborn Screening (I started to get a little nervous thinking that they had decided - sort of late- that J. has a metabolic disorder or something), they used my name, but then said to call in reference to Braeden?! So, I called them back and confirmed that yes, my name is ___ ___, but no, I don't have a son named Braeden born in 02 of 07. No, that's not my SSN number or my address....
I find it very strange that my number would be incorrectly listed with someone who has the same name as I do. I hope they figure it out, though; she said she really needs to find that boy! (No I don't think it was some sort of info stealing call because she did not ask me for my info - just listed off the wrong info she already had.)
A Different Kind of Love Story….
6 months ago


2 comments:
Yeah, doctors office visits are FULL of various forms of torture!
That's weird about your number...we sometimes have problems with that too!
Oh my goodness what an awful visit to the Pedi. Sounds like all your girls are real troopers.
My DS2 and DS3 don't mind shots, they like to see who is the toughest.....men. But my oldest son gets himself so panicked about shots that he throws up EVERY time without fail and he is almost 11.
I have to take my triplets to the pedi on Nov 5th (their B-Day) for check ups and shots.....by myself. What am I going to do. lord help me.
BTW did the person call who's car you hit? just curious not like it's any of my business LOL
Yikes I've written a novel I'll go now sorry!
Post a Comment