January 7, 2009

Molars

Baby J. is trying very hard to push through two molars. She's having a hard time. Yesterday I had to hold her ALL DAY and even while I was holding her she was still fussing most of the time.
We have tried teething tablets (which seem to work the best but not very long term), tylenol, teethers, and ice cubes in the little mesh choke-proof thingy (she was not interested). Today I decided to try letting her gnaw on a cold carrot. I overheard someone recommending a cold carrot for teething a long time ago and was horrified because didn't she know that carrots are horrible choking hazards??!?? Well anyway, today I was feeling a bit desperate...so I found a really thick, hopefully bite proof carrot, put J. in her high chair, and gave it to her under very close supervision.
She never did put it in her mouth. She, who puts EVERYTHING she finds in her mouth and who loves to chew her shirts sleeves AND who enjoyed chewing a baby carrot her grandma gave her (while Mama silently freaked and prayed), did not even taste the carrot. She stood it on it's end; she put puffs on top of it; she spent 15 minutes throwing it repetitevely on the floor so B. could pick it up for her; but she did not use it to help break through those mean ole molars.


Today she seemed to be a lot less uncomfortable than yesterday, though, so that was good.

She has been nodding a lot and melts her Daddy's heart when she squints her eyes really tight and smiles at him.

Every day she comes crawling at full speed to great Daddy when he comes home. The other day he came home and she gave him a full greeting, then 30 minutes later he went out to the car to get something and when he came back, she gave him another equally enthuisastic greeting. She's always happy to see Daddy. She gets very excited when she wakes up in the morning on Saturdays and he's snoozing in the bed and crawls over to poke him until he wakes up.

We used furniture and the pack and play to fence off the Christmas tree and after we took it down I decided to leave furniture so the girls could have a 'big kid only' area. So far they are really liking it, and I like that they have a place to keep and play with their choking-hazard toys. We used to only play with the choking hazards during J.'s naptime, but they got so many for Christmas it was getting hard to fit everything into J's one 2 hour nap.

Well, I guess that's enough random recording of kid stuff for tonight!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh poor little thing. I can completely understand your frustration I have 2 of the triplet trying to get molars...UGH!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

your family is just beautiful! i think james is cutting some molars as well (when he isn't cutting through his bottom lip, lol!). isn't it funny how persnickety these little ones can be?

thanks for commenting today!