March 24, 2009

The Movie Battle

Every so often (but much less often than I would expect) we reach an impasse at movie time. The girls each decide that they must watch a certain movie and will not budge. After they have both determined that the other is not planning on agreeing to their movie choice, the girls usually follow this process:
1)Much crying and lamenting to Mama about how much they want to watch particular movie.
-Mama's response: if you can't agree on a movie, we won't watch one, if you need to cry about movies, you may go do so in your room.
2)Each girl presents the case for her movie to the other: 'but you like this movie' is the general statement repeated over and over and over and over. (sometimes this is the last step because one sister caves -usually B.) if not...
3)More tears and repeats to Mama about how sister WILL NOT watch desired movie
-Mama's response: 'since you can't agree one of those two movies, maybe you should find a new movie that you both would like'
4)Repeated assurances to Mama that ONLY the movie already selected is acceptable
5)Total depression. The girls lie around sobbing about why they need to watch their movie. Today I heard A. say that she had to watch her movie because the 'guy is purple and purple is my favorite color'
6)Peace offering. One daughter decides to go find a new movie option. (If I'm lucky, this step is successful and the drama ends here)
7)Refusal and realization of power - the other sister refuses the movie option and peace offering thereby crushing her sister's spirit and sending her back into a fit of tears. Mama gets very grumpy when there is a satisfied smirk on the face of the 'meanie' sister.
-Mama's response (to girl who has refused peace offering): if you are going to say no to her selection then you have to go help her find a movie that you both like, if you don't, I will let her select a movie.
8)Usually there is a lull in the drama here while one daughter nurses her wounds and the other considers her options.
9)A movie is chosen and agreed upon.
I did not see how this was accomplished - I try to avoid watching too much of this process because it makes me have horrible flashbacks to movie picking time between me and my sister ;)
Thanks goodness this only happens rarely. Most days the girls have already planned well in advance what movie they will pick. Or if they haven't, I can make a suggestion and they'll go along with it.
And where is Baby Jo during this long drawn out battle?? Following Mama around crying because, in her mind, 4:30-6:00 PM is happy hour at the milk bar and nothing besides undisputed, easy access is acceptable. I've tried snacks of different sorts, more nap, less nap, cuddle time, reading time, etc. Sometimes outside time keeps her distracted...but it's raining today...
I keep giving her a pacifier and hoping she'll decide to comfort herself with it.

Here they are sitting in time-out. Different day, same general idea :)

3 comments:

andryadawn said...

ahhh... flashbacks. :)
Soooo cute!!! Enjoy this stuff... I miss it!

Tina said...

Wow how different it is to raise girls then boys. My boys would get one chance and that's it. I guess thats why men tend to invade and start more wars LOL.

Muthering Heights said...

LOL, oh my, the drama I have to look forward to!