June 5, 2008

Internet


The Internet sucks away my time - sometimes that's great, sometimes, obviously, not so great. I started my relationship with my computer in college - and that was even before the myspace craze started. Back then we just had IM and SNOOD. After college I had a 2 and a half year span of no Internet - we didn't have a computer. Looking back I wonder how I survived - how could I live that cut off from everything! But it was nice; nothing to distract me from watching the kids play (well, there are always the books distracting me...), no compulsion to see if I have new email. Then we moved to the middle of nowhere (more middle of nowhere than SW Kansas is NW Kansas) and decided we needed Internet to stay connected. The myspace addiction started - but after awhile I was bored with that. I'd found most of my long lost friends and didn't really have any more profiles to peruse. But the Internet sucked me in again - the next phase was the news sites. I checked at least 3 to 4 news sites each morning before I started my day. It was more an excuse to enjoy my morning cup of tea than anything...but once I started I would wind up spending at least an hour depressing myself with all the horrific happenings in my area and around the world. Eventually I decided that it was better to just not know what's going on....so on to the facebook phase. The sister urged me to join up just as I was again losing interest with the web. Facebook had new things like addictive games and other fun applications; how many hours did I spend rating movies??? Lots and lots...thousands of movies have been rated by me...
When baby came, I went through a (very) short time of not feeling like messing with the computer. But that short time just made it worse after because I had sooo much catching up to do! Friends to touch base with etc! And now the blog...I know I'm behind on this...but one blog got me reading...then starting my own...now I have several blogs that I feel like I must read or check daily. BUT, they are starting to slow down on their postings, so maybe another respite from the constant pull toward the screen.

I guess I'll just go check my email one more time before lunch....

No comments: