June 29, 2008

A Night at the Drive-in

Groggy A. says "I want to go to church but no shower"...only three and already finding ways to sleep in :-)

This morning I had to wake the girls up at 9:30....shocking I know...but not all that surprising since we left the drive in around 1:00am. So, they got their 8 hours and are now taking a nap to recover.

We went to see a double feature of Wall-e and Kung Fu Panda. The web site said gates open at 7pm so we just planned to get there around that time. The movie was supposed to start when it got dark. I have no idea what time it gets dark - so I figured by the time we got some food and settled in the movie would start...hahahahaha. It gets dark a little after 9! So even with two trips through the loooooooooong concession line and a walk and eating supper, we still had a lot of waiting time. The girls thought the movie would NEVER start (I was thinking the same thing!). I think next time we'll go a little later - although, there was already a line of 20 or so cars at the gate when we showed up at 6:45. I think a less ideal parking location might be worth a shorter wait.

But this was my first ever trip to a drive in, and, despite the baby's grumpy spell (more on that in a minute), it was totally cool. Like tail gating but with a more exciting show! I like football, but it really takes some effort for me to care about more than the marching band. Going to movies, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorite things to do - and this was two movies for the price of one! Yay!

Yes, we're probably horrible for keeping the kids out that late. BUT my kids are pretty good about sleeping in when they stay up late. They also somehow figured out that Kung Fu Panda was coming up so they we talking about it before Wall-e was even over.

Our main snag of the evening was poor Baby. I figured she would be easy - I would feed her and then put her in her car seat and she would just sleep. But she was too hot and gets very fussy when she's hot. I'm not all that patient when I'm hot - so we were quite a pair. I finally had the husband shut the hatch on us so we wouldn't be so loud (I was just waiting for the neighbors to start boo-ing us or something). Shutting the hatch made both of us hotter, but I was able to calm down because I was less stressed about grumpy people yelling at me. I laid her down on the floor in the back so she was able to cool off a bit, and she did eventually fall asleep and snoozed the rest of the time.

As for a movie review: Both were good. I need to rewatch both of them. I would be better off not liking childrens' movies because I could just concentrate on keeping the kids happy and wouldn't be sad about missing the movie. I think both movies were more for boys....but the girls stayed pretty interested anyway.

Hopefully we'll get to go again! Just have to wait for another kid friendly double feature (or a babysitter!)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun! What an experience I've never been to a drive in either. Next time I would go with getting a sitter and make it a fun date night!

Anonymous said...

ooooooo... i want to go!!!! that sounds like so much fun!!!