This morning
A: "Mama could you come open that top drawer so we can get that other kitty than the kitty with stripes that doesn't have stripes just fur" - Translation: we need the non-striped stuffed kitty.
Last night
B: "We don't eat that fish because it's green" - Translation: we don't eat that shark that is depicted in this cartoon because it is green and green food is unacceptable. Now if it had been a regularly colored shark, we would eat it because we eat sharks (the girls have eaten shark and hold it in the highest esteem as a meat - if a meat is yummy they say "mama I think this is shark - we eat shark." B. also believes all green food is icky - and calls all chunks of food she doesn't like 'greens' whether or not said chunks are actually green)
Thought of the weekend:
Baby seems to have several different sides and at times I find it hard to believe they are all the same baby. There's the very determined eater whose little eyes roll back in her head in satisfaction before she dozes off - little eater has also taken to scratching her head while eating - like she's in deep thought about it all. Then there is 'Happy Baby' who loves to laugh, 'talk', shriek, and 'sing.' The side that seems the least familiar to me is the 'from far away baby.' I recognize her, but she just looks so different when she is being held by someone else. That probably reflects on the fact that she hasn't started towards independence yet. And finally there is 'crying, fussy baby' who doesn't come out all that often - a little more lately because of the new tooth. This is the scariest side of all babies, I think, because they seem like they just can't be reached - they have departed to the land of baby misery, and it's our job to figure out how to bring them back. I remember being almost desparate to break through to B. when she was nearly hysterical with crying. It seemed like she was totally unaware of me or anything around her - so how could I comfort her? She's still hard to calm once she has gone past a certain point of frustration.
I find it amazing that babies are still such a mystery....you'd think we'd have them totally figured out by now!
A Different Kind of Love Story….
6 months ago


1 comment:
Love the quotes! Sounds like you are having fun with your girls!
Post a Comment