August 12, 2008

Late night musings...

It has been my habit, since starting this blog, to put myself to sleep by writing blogs. I have written many, many profound, earth-shattering blogs as I slowly drift off. Here's one that I composed this morning while in a state of half sleep. I thought it was an interesting enough thought to post.

I was thinking to myself about how much women who choose not to breastfeed miss out. I understand that some women can't for various reasons - and I don't mean this to be a guilt session about why everyone should breastfeed or else.... I just was enjoying a morning cuddle and thinking about how much less cuddle-y it would be with a bottle between us. Or how it was sort of sad that Baby is so big that she doesn't curl her little toes into my tummy anymore when she's nursing.

But babies that don't nurse can still grow to be healthy, well-grounded, awesome individuals. They may not have all the health benefits - but they won't necessarily be sickly.

It's just like the choice to love God, or not. You can make it through life without Him. We've seen so many people do it - some seem successful. But aren't they missing out? How can you truly appreciate love if you have not experience the total, complete love that comes from God, who is love.

You can bond with a baby while you bottle feed - but Baby's focus is on the bottle...it's the bottle that gives the 'love'. Or you can nurse Baby - and he/she doesn't distinguish between the warmth and nourishment that are in the milk and you.

You can focus your love on the world - but it's artificial, an imitation of the real thing. But if you live in God's love - then all loves of the world are all mixed in with Him.

So, whether or not you want to call one choice right and one wrong....there is definitely a choice in the quality of experience. And of course the consequences of your choices are much more extreme with God than with nursing.


Well - all that was much clearer when written in a half-sleep...but that's the gist.

4 comments:

photo lady said...

Good thinkings.

andryadawn said...

wow... that is profound!

Mamma said...

Skip the blog. Write a book.
I love you sooooo much!mamma

Tina said...

That was beautiful and written half dazed....incredible. I BF my older three boys but did not attempt to BF the triplets. That would have put me straight over the edge LOL.

You are right you don't have that bond from BF but you find other ways to develop a closeness.