March 18, 2009

Quote of the Week

B.: "A.!!! Mama is making cookies for H. and C.'s Mom cause she just laid a baby!"
and
B: "Mom did H.'s mom lay two babies? "
We must have been talking about chickens and eggs recently....
...or maybe they just have birds on the brain. We've been babysitting my little half-siblings' birds and cat.


At first there was a lot fear from all three girls. Now they beg to get the birds out - and B. has come very close to getting one on her finger (she always chickens out at the last minute). A. has stopped hiding behind the furniture or in her room and will get within about 3 feet of the loose birds. But both girls tend to shriek whenever the birds flap and attempt to fly. Baby Jo loves the birds but tends to tense when they flap (probably more because of her sisters shrieking than fear of the birds...). Jo has even tried to pet the birds a few times and didn't seem to mind when one of them nipped her. Jer and I have fun seeing who can stand the pain of the blue bird's bites. At first it just bit because it didn't want to be messed with - but now it will be sitting happily and decide to gnaw on outstretch fingers or any other skin it can find. We were a little grossed out one night when it looked like one bird was regurgitating and feeding the other....guess I should study up on the habits of pet birds. I'm not even sure what they are parakeets? cockatoos? cockatiels?? I think they are parakeets....

There are no pictures of A. with the birds because, as I mentioned before, she tends to hide when we get them out. There are no pictures of me, ever, because I'm always taking the pictures!


He's pretending to be ready to eat them....I'm secretly wishing they would bite his tongue :)
PS There are no pictures of the cat...the girls love the cat...they chase it around until it begs to be put back in the garage. I have decided that we will not be adding a cat to our family until the girls are old enough to clean a litter box :)

3 comments:

andryadawn said...

YAY, a blog!! :)
Probably parakeets... love how innocent and oblivious they look on Jer's finger...
You have to hand Jer the camera and say 'take a picture of me'... not hard, then you will have some. You'll want them later, promise!!

delenda_est said...

They're budgerigars! Remember in Australia, they flock wild? There would always be a bunch feeding on the flower bushes in my parents' yard. Here in the US they're called parakeets. But I think "budgies" is easier to say. Good luck -- birds are too high maintenance for me! :-)

Ice Cream said...

Ok, just the thought of those birds biting his tongue has me laughing out loud.