July 26, 2008

Stupid Food!

I really dislike cooking - or more accurately - shopping for the right ingredients to prepare a variety of healthy meals for my family. I'm not inspired to try new recipes, mainly because they tend to turn out very mediocre at best. It's also extremely expensive to buy healthy food - lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain....and now ORGANIC! ARG! Ok, lets go pay double for all the food you originally couldn't afford anyway. Here I am reading about all the horrible hormones in milk that will give my kids breasts at age 5 - but I can't even afford milk - the government buys it for us.

And now, the final straw, the one food that my children will eat no matter what, at any time of day, over and over and over.....is probably increasing their chances of leukemia and brain tumors. I would love to buy a farm and grow and can all my own food. Grind my own wheat for bread, make butter, cheese etc from the cows (or goats) I milk...but really how feasible is that???

And yet, death by food is just one of the many, many, many dangers out there. Why focus on this one? Probably because all the pregnancy literature really hounds women to watch what they eat...and now I'm stuck with that worry.

I'm tired of it. I do the best I can - just like I buckle my kids in their car seats and do my best to keep them out of the street. But I can't be perfect with safety or with health food.

So I'm back to trusting God. This time for health. It's amazing how often one comes back to the little sayings learned in Elementary school - "Do my best and let God do the rest" - so that's what I'm going to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in five years, they will have decided that all the organic stuff is giving people some other random disease... and Im sure cheese will be the death of me one day... so, deep breath, your children will get cancer if that is in the plan for them whether you feed them organic bean sprouts or snickers bars all day, you cant control health, that is Gods alone. So yes, good plan, toss your hands in the air and say screw it... and feed them what you like. And stop reading every study that comes out on food, you are going to drive yourself crazy. After the 3 millionth article on "new miracle food prevents cancer...tomatoes!" and then realizing hey, i eat them anyway, and then reading an article about the abundance of tomatoes this year it dawned on me... 1)tomatoes are not new nor miracles, just something that people eat 2)science often is used to promote (or not) certain things for profit 3)ketchup sales went up when they put 'antioxidents' on the bottle without changing any ingredients 3)then recently they recalled tomatoes that were potentially going to make me sick 4)the question has now morphed into if or when will tomatoes be the sole reason for giving or keeping me from getting cancer or some other disease, and if they did or did not, how would we really know it was the tomatoes and not the fumes coming out of whatever factory down the street or the chemicals they use in the clothes I buy or the little microscopic bug scientists dont even know exists yet? lol!