September 13, 2008

Can we drink the water????

I wish someone would clarify. I don't understand how the different water systems work. I know that Houstonians are not supposed to drink the water without boiling it first. But, I don't know if that includes us. We get our water from a M.U.D - and I don't know how that ties in with Houston (frankly, I have no idea what M.U.D stands for but I think it's a poor choice of acronym for anything to do with water service).

We weathered the storm without much issue. Our power went out around 11:30 pm. My husband and I moved all the freezer stuff to the bottom of the freezer and packed all the ice from the ice maker into baggies around it. We then attempted to go to sleep. It went well until Baby J. woke up around 2:00am. I put her in bed with my and she wiggled and squirmed and sat up over and over because it was too warm. Then the girls woke up around 2:30 - first A. because the noise-maker was off. Then B. because when I left after tucking in A. I left the door open - she was very upset. They finally meandered into our room and all five of us attempted to go to sleep. Baby J. made it apparent that sleep wouldn't happen for awhile because she decided it was a good time to 'sing' at the top of her lungs. We relocated to the cooler living room (for those of you wondering why we were so hot, I believe the outside temp was still in the upper 80s), put the girls in hall away from windows, and tried again to go to sleep. After much squirming, giggling, peeking, and rearranging we finally all managed to doze off around 4am. At 6 am all the lights in the house came on - just long enough to wake us up so we could turn them off.

The wind was scary on and off - mainly when it made the doors and windows shake (both interior and exterior doors). The whole experience felt very much like being in a tornado warning that lasts for 6 hours instead of 1 or 2. I even felt a bit of the wind-panic I used to feel in Kansas on dark, stormy nights!

We all woke up around 8 and started peeking outside. Some of our neighbors started emerging around then also. There were a few trees down and lots of felled fences. We were very concerned when the radio folks told us that some people would not get power for a few weeks (I also thought I heard them say that the crews would not start trying to restore power again until Monday!) and that tomorrow was going to be a hot and muggy day. We attempted to cook breakfast - lit the gas stove with matches and had decent eggs - biscuits don't cook well on the stove top, however. The husband and I dozed while the baby slept and the big girls played for most of the morning. Around 12 we woke up and noticed the ceiling fan was running so we celebrated by catching up on all the storm footage and turning on the A/C!





I feel very blessed that we and our friends were all safe throughout the storm. Lots of folks not very far from us had it a lot worse. We only had about 3 inches of rain compared to people getting double to triple that amount about 30 miles from us.

We still have quite a bit of water left in various containers as well as a lot of ice from before the storm started - but I'm need to know if it's safe to run the dishwasher, take a shower, and use the ice maker and water dispenser!!!

We continue to pray for those who are still in coastal areas needing rescue or who lost homes/loved ones etc to the storm.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Thank the Lord you all were not harmed. I can't even imagine how scary that must have been.