September 30, 2008

Mama's Kind of Girls













The girls and I sat (actually layed) down today to color with their new coloring books and crayons. They finally have boxes of crayons that have more than 8 colors - we've really been missing the pink!
As we were coloring I was thinking back to a project we were given in second grade. Everyone was given a coloring page with a picture of a grain elevator on it. We were told to color it in as life like a way as possible, and there would be a contest to see who did the most life-like coloring. I was not interested - AT ALL. Grain elevators are white - sometimes they have a stalk of wheat or some words painted on them. There have gray or blue ladders and other stuff up the sides. I was (and continue to be) a girl who liked lots of colors - bright, lots of variety, emphasis on the deep or cool colors, and no white anywhere. My elevator was not realistic - but it was pretty :) To this day I'm still miffed that they would give us such a boring project. In fact, for lack of better blame-ees, I'm going to blame them for the fact that I am an artistic dud. But regardless of all that, I've always enjoyed coloring. I find it relaxing. I used to do it during high school (and maybe college) while listening to music. So I really enjoy this sort of bonding time with my girls.

A and B have reached a point where they will actually color for longer than 5 or 10 minutes. Baby J. enjoyed tormenting us by trying to grab (and eat) crayons and our paper and by pulling my hair. After a few minutes I noticed both of my daughters (but more-so B.) have inherited my love of color - and my dislike of white :) **See displayed artwork.** I'm thrilled. Couldn't be more proud. B. spent even more time tonight coloring. Even the husband was impressed!!

***Big news of the week - Baby J. has five (almost six) teeth and started clapping yesterday. YAY BABY!!! (that's actually what we say to get her to do it.)***

6 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Great job Baby J! :)

Mamma said...

Grandma is soooooo proud !!

andryadawn said...

I am very impressed with their art!!! And I loved your grain elevator story! What a dumb project... glad you colored it how you wanted :)

Anonymous said...

I wish Ayden would color for more than 1 minute! :) I LOVE their pictures... soo colorful. :o)

Tina said...

The world needs great creative dreamers like you and your girls. Only people with creative magical minds can colour with every crayon in the box and "outside' the lines. i think they have an amazingly bright future!

Tina said...

Oh ya I'm sooooo LOVING your new layout! Look how creative you are! Two thumbs way up!