September 22, 2008

Happy Birthday!!!




Four years ago today my little girlies 'popped' into my life :) They don't know it's their b-day - we're celebrating on Saturday (they are very excited!). But I still celebrate my 'miracle day' today.
I was blog hopping this morning and came across several blogs by parents of micro-preemies (I think this means before 28 weeks) and remembered how blessed I am to have had an easy, uneventful pregnancy.

I am short (5'1) and, since most twins are born early, I thought my chances of going past 34/35 weeks were slim. I remember looking at the calendar in April - right after finding out I was carrying two - and plotting the goals. Somewhere in July was 28 weeks. That is the ultimate goal because after that the chances of serious, long-term problems decrease significantly. Then 35/36 weeks was at the beginning of September and that was what I decided to pray for - that I would make it to September. My favorite number is 2 - so 22, because it is two 2's is also a favorite (and all the more significant when having two babies!). I looked on the calendar at September 22nd and circled it. I told God that the 22nd would be my miracle day. I didn't ask for the miracle. I only asked (begged, pleaded) for September.

The first of September came and went. By that time I was telling God I really didn't want a miracle - any time would be good!!!!! But even through the discomfort and the desire to be done being pregnant, there was still the little bit of me that wondered if I was worth a miracle, if my babies were in the hand of God to the extent of such small trivialities as 'the perfect day.'

When the doctor decided to induce me at 38 weeks and told me to schedule for the 23rd, I was pretty impressed - within a day of my miracle day - even past it. About 5 minutes later the scheduling nurse came back and said the hospital was booked for the 23rd - so they moved me back to the 22nd!

And the birth, due to the recommended- almost to the point of required- epidural, was the easiest part. I just pretended I was blowing really hard on my ole French horn and out they popped 30 minutes later :) Even sideways Baby B. turned herself and almost fell out 4 minutes later. Small (5 lb 6 and 4 lbs 12) but SO healthy. We never questioned the strength of their lungs ;)

Four years later I can barely remember how tiny these girls were! They are still loud, though :)

So, on this day of 2's (and the first day of Autumn), I'm celebrating the birth of my children and God's faithfulness and attention to detail. I love that even the littlest things in my life matter to Him.

PS I am actually celebrating the birth of all of my children today. Baby J. turns 8 months old today. She was born on the 22nd, too. Another fun way that God has blessed me.

PPS I'm sure there is some way to put the pictures where they go -instead of both at the top of the post - but Baby J. thinks it's supper time, so I don't have time to mess with it.


****I do/will continue to pray for those who have been less fortunate with their baby-having processes****

3 comments:

Tina said...

That is so incredible the #2 that is threaded throughout very significant points in your life . I LOVE that.

I often feel like 3 is my special number, three boys then triplets and 6 kids is just 2X my favorite 3. OK I know I'm rambling I'll stop now LOL.

I love your story, thanks for sharing it with us. Happy Birthday Girls!

andryadawn said...

YAY!! Lots of teary eyes... Im supposed to be packing and you have me sitting here looking like an emotional basketcase. :)
Happy Birthday to your babies!!!!

Muthering Heights said...

What an awesome story! God is so kind to bless us even in the small details!