September 5, 2008

More Random

A. "Mama, you're not broking my heart anymore, you're loving my heart." (This confession was made while I was bathing and A. was sitting on the potty)

Baby J. has a new way of telling me she's tired/hungry. She crawls up to me and pushes her face against my leg....and just waits. Somehow Mama skin = food/comfort.

While looking at pictures, the girls found one of Daddy and his siblings at a very young age. B. asks who the baby girl is. I tell her it's Aunt Stacey....A. smarts off "I don't believe that."....where on earth did she hear that one??

I've been doing some exercise videos in the afternoons. A. gets very upset when I don't hold my arms exactly like the ladies onscreen. They girls always want to use weights like I do and have been unhappy with their various toy options. But they discovered that the baby's little plastic connector toys (I have no idea what they are called - they are the little egg shaped, plastic toys with a hole on one end and a little rod like connector on the other - we used to always try and make enormous circles with them...) make good 3-year-old sized weights.

The bug man came this morning and the girls, as usual with any visitors, talked his ears off. Non-stop explanations of everything that pops into their heads. He told them he had to go into the attic to look for alligators - the girls weren't convinced. They know, from watching Animal Planet, that alligators and crocodiles live mostly in rivers.


Also, as we reach the year mark of living in this house, and as sister travels cross country to exciting new places, my gypsy blood is getting all fired up - my grandpa was 100 percent Czech and my grandma would often call him a Bohemian...so gypsy blood is totally possible. Anyway, we've been looking at houses, and I've been feeling that need to pack and throw away and re-settle. And the pictures of mountains and talk of cool Canadian and Alaskan air just makes it so much worse! I'm a girl from the North, born in South Dakota! I do not do well in this hot, humid, misery that is South Texas!!!! All this is not to say that we are planning on any extreme moves. Husband likes his job and there are a lot of things that we love about this area. So I'm fighting my desire to roam and relocate. The longest we've lived in any one house since we married is 18 months. I'm not wanting to break that record in this house....but I would like to find a semi-permanent house soon! A house that I know from the start at least has the possibility of being a long term residence.

And on a completely different topic:
Sesame Street does seem to have the ability to educate. When going through the shape flashcards with A., she started asking to count the corners/sides. I don't recall ever counting them with her- the last time we did the flash cards was a year or so ago, before the girls could count. They learned the basic shapes based just on recognition. They also have learned their ABCs and a bit of vocabulary - very impressive. Maybe I should be one of the 'viewers like you' that contribute to PBS!

2 comments:

andryadawn said...

YES, gypsy blood (MOVE TO ALASKA!) teehee...
The "I dont believe you" and being skeptical of the crocodiles is a good thing... means they are using their brains and not just believing everything someone tells them... good stuff!! You should be oh so proud that they are sooo smart!!! :)

Tina said...

There is something nice about finding the right place and placing your roots, but it has to feel right.

I too am from the North ( Canada) and sometimes long for the snowy winter.....but then I remeber the slush, freezing rain, winchill factor, plugging cars in at night, bundling kids up in a million layers..nope I couldn't handle it again.

I guess living in the South has thinned my blood LOL.